Today on the Disney Parks Blog, food writer Pam Brandon announced a terrific initiative called Disney TRYit campaign. It’s a new approach to get kids to try fun, new healthy dishes that have great ingredients with an interesting twist. It’s part of Disney’s Magic of Healthy Living program.
Recently, Executive Chef for Epcot Jens Dahlmann added new dishes for the younger guests’ palette for Epcot’s International Flower & Garden Festival. He says that if you present the dishes in appealing ways like the Frushi’ (fruit sushi) they will be more inclined to try more exotic dishes like the Watermelon Salad with arugula and feta cheese. It gets them to take the chance to try something they normal would not want to eat.
I think this is a refreshing idea and hope it’s received with a warm reception. So many parents want their children to eat healthy and those who are foodies truly want their children to explore new foods outside of chicken nuggets and mac n’cheese.
Looking over some of the food choices I say it’s a variety of cuisine. I do think that the goat cheeses and beets may be a hard sell. I know most adults who won’t go near those foods with a ten foot pole. Overall, I am pleased to see Disney stepping it up with healthy choices that are appetizing and also encouraging children to step out of their food comfort zones.
Look for the TRYit logo on these various dishes in the Garden Marketplaces and Festival Center. The festival runs from March 6 – May 19:
- Beet Lollipop (Intermissions Café in the Festival Center)
- Wild Berry Slush (Fruits by the Glass)
- Baked Goat’s Brie with Kumquat Chutney (The Cottage, United Kingdom)
- Frushi (Fruit Sushi) (Hanami, Japan)
- Lasagna Primavera (Primavera Kitchen, Italy)
- Potato Pancakes with house-made Apple Sauce (Bauernmarkt, Germany)
- Spring Pancake with Grilled Chicken & Green Apple (Lotus House, China)
- Watermelon Salad with pickled Red Onions, BW Farms Baby Arugula, Feta Cheese & Balsamic Reduction (Florida Fresh)
- Angel Food Cake with macerated Florida Berries (Florida Fresh)
- Ratatouille Tarte with Goat Cheese (L’Orangerie, France)
- Moroccan Sweet Pancake (Taste of Marrakesh, Morocco)
- Waterkist Farms Heirloom Tomatoes with house-made Mozzarella, Minus 8 Vinegar & Basil (The Cottage, United Kingdom)
- CLOSED- GIVEAWAY: Basq “Its A Small World” Line for DisneyI am so very excited about this giveaway! You may have heard about the amazing products that Basq has. We are so in love with their “Its A Small World” line for Disney. The line has many products including a calming oil, silky lavender body butter, soap and a sleep mist. It depicts the one of a kind bond of mother and child and the shared connection of moms