(24) small beignets or (14) large ones
3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup water
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Vegetable oil, for frying
Confections’ sugar, for dusting
1. In a medium bowl, combine 23/4 cups of the flour with the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Whisk everything together.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, water, egg and vanilla extract. Stir in the flour mixture from Step 1.
3. Use some of the remaining flour to dust your work surface. Place the dough on it and pat it into a large 1/2 inch-thick square. Dust the top with more flour if it gets sticky. Next, slice the dough into 21/2 inch squares.
4. Now it’s time to fry the beignets–be sure to ask an adult to help you! Heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy saucepan on the stovetop until the temperature reaches 325 degrees on a deep-fat thermometer. Check the temperature every so often while cooking. If it gets too hot, temporarily turn the heat down, or off.
5. Carefully drop 3 dough squares at a time into the hot oil. Fry them for 3 minutes, turn them over, and continue frying for 3 or more minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beignets to a wire rack set atop paper towels to drain. Dust the beignets with confectioners’ sugar and enjoy!