½ pound of bacon cut into ¼ inch pieces
1 medium red onion cut into ¼ inch pieces
3 celery ribs cut into ¼ inch pieces
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken stock
4 cups milk
1 pound of grated white cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup pale ale, room temperature
Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish
1. Cook the bacon, stirring over medium-high heat about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned, in a 4 to 5 quart Dutch oven.
2. Add the red onion, celery, and butter; cook, stirring, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes. Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after you add the milk.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth. Stir in the pale ale. If the soup is too thick, add some warm milk.
6. Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped scallions or chives.